I try and keep these thoughts in day to day moments.
They help me break free from the mental traps and get back into the present moment.
- Before seeking external validation, ask yourself, “What do I hope that person tells me?” Then tell it to yourself.
- Iteration, not destination. Experience, not performance.
- How do I feel about this?
- What do I really want right now?
- Does it make me better, or does it make me feel better?
- What would it look like if this were easy?
- Suffer when it’s time to suffer.
- What would I advise someone like me to do?
- It never gets easier. You just go faster.
Specifically in instances where I get anxious, worried, going into autopilot, binge-eating, facing resistance, being absent minded.
They don’t always help me regain full control, but most of the time they help me pause, notice, question, and analyse my own thoughts - which is arguably much more interesting and more beneficial to the long term than just gaining temporary self control.