20200602_0915 - "everyone is a little racist" and 2020 so far
* Note created: [time=Tuesday, 02 June 2020 09:15:00 +0700]
* ###### tags `sTREaming`
admit it. [everyone is a little racist](https://www.google.com/search?q=everyone+is+a+little+racist). it's in our DNA. the way we're wired
some anecdotal examples:
- racism in portugal https://twitter.com/NikkitaFTW/status/1267435970594570240
- papua https://twitter.com/louisvuicunt/status/1266732548127780864
- the scar from 1998 riot against chinese descent in Indonesia
- china flu, anti refugee, blame game on minorities.
all of these are undeniable in everyday life
this then creates the many systemic failures embedded in society and culture
`// algorithm acts the way it's trained. wrong incentives enable bad decisions and actions`
this #BLM movement and momentum are **important** to hopefully push us closer to the tipping point
but this is sad
- white provocateurs handing out bricks for protesters to throw https://twitter.com/JaValle/status/1267250753422241792
- peaceful protests getting tear gassed https://twitter.com/morganhousel/status/1267620534017122304
- influencers doing their thing https://twitter.com/influencersitw/status/1267602725266743298
- and this is crazy https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1267480306371760135
- and getting scary https://twitter.com/FOX13News/status/1267539936401592320
anyway, a bit happy to see these:
call me pessimistic, but I don't think thing will change too much https://twitter.com/carzubi9/status/1266847371725541380
ok I take my words back. it's not that sad. this is like covid
crazy times but seeing the best of people and the worst of people
what a time to be alive to observe people.
this also feels less intense than covid, because my circle of control is more clearly defined / set here.
yes I will eventually be impacted by the ripple effect of america going down (`eels like it's a fall of an empire / era, where china is going up?`) but it doesn't feel like an impending tsunami I can help prevent / impact like covid
but still.... mass rallies and passionate chanting are just what we need in the times of covid eh?
we forget and adapt so fast. too fast.
worried with all the marching and vigorous chanting, many more people will have trouble breathing in > 14 days
interesting metaphor: cognitive DDoS / DDoS to the brain
and another one "amygdala hijacking" - @hiredthought
kinda sick and skeptical (cynical?) of the gestures from brands, public figures, institutions issuing statements, posts on social media. some feel lip-service-y and insignificant.
talk is cheap.
ok the negativity got to me. taking a break now.